Geospatial data underpin any application, service, and product even remotely related to our physical surroundings, being one of the foundations and value multipliers of our physical and digital economy.
Their creation, update, and provision consist a multi-billion industry, in which advances in asset creation, update and use, result into significant direct and indirect gains throughout our economy. Unfortunately, the EU market of geospatial assets is disjoint and fragmented, with offerings difficult to discover, assess, obtain and integrate in a cross-domain, cross-border, and cross-lingual manner. This results into the direct and indirect devaluation of data assets, as owners and consumers are not able to harness their true market potential.
OpertusMundi aims to address these issues through complementary technical, organizational, and commercial instruments focused on directly and indirectly increasing the value harnessed from geospatial assets by making them simpler to discover, share, trade, and use. We intend to lower the entry barrier for data owners and data consumers alike, allow them to harness network effects and economies of scale, and support current and emerging business models for synergetic value generation along the geospatial value chain.
- Discoverability. We will directly increase the value of proprietary geospatial assets by increasing their discoverability through a low-cost, standards-compliant, single point for publishing and discovering cross-domain and cross-border assets. This will allow owners and producers to gain visibility, expand their market reach, and grow beyond their existing clientele, thus directly generating more value from existing investments.
- Value chain support. We will directly increase the value of proprietary geospatial assets by supporting ad hoc and systematic synergies between data owners, producers, and consumers along the entire breadth and depth of the geospatial value chain, with emphasis on revenue/risk-sharing synergies and collaborations. This will increase the value of geospatial assets in terms of coverage, accuracy, timeliness, and quality, in addition to reducing the effort/cost for asset creation/maintenance, increasing sector relevance and market coverage, and introducing complementary revenue streams.
- Value-added services. We will directly increase the value extracted from proprietary geospatial assets by enabling owners to provide, market, and monetize their assets through new product offerings, business models, and value chain instances provided directly within the platform, and with minimal effort on their behalf. This will allow them to harness technical knowhow and facilities well outside their reach, enlarge their market share, and increase revenue streams.
- Market alignment. We will directly increase the value harnessed from proprietary geospatial data assets by addressing the market needs for low-cost, high-quality, cross-border geospatial assets purchased and delivered via agile and streamlined means. We will lower the entry barrier for consumers making it easier to purchase and use assets, increase the technical relevance of products, and introduce new product offerings with enlarged geographic and domain coverage.
- Localization. We will directly increase the value of proprietary geospatial data assets by aggregating demand, matchmaking offer, and integrating low-cost localization services for geospatial data assets in cross-border value chains directly within the platform. This will expand the coverage and reach of assets in a cross-border setting, enlarge market share, introduce new revenue streams, and frame new value chain synergies.
- Streamline contracting. We will indirectly increase the value of proprietary geospatial assets by streamlining their licensing and contracting through flexible and harmonized cross-border electronic contracts between the platform, owners, consumers, as well as multiple data owners (multi-party). As such, we will reduce legal and administrative overheads, avoid license conflicts, and reduce time-to-purchase.
- Conformance monitoring. We will indirectly increase the value of proprietary assets by providing fair and transparent automated controls on contractual enforcement for owners and consumers. As such, we will increase asset profitability, proactively avoid resource-intensive conflicts and overheads, and increase satisfaction.
- Flexible pricing. We will directly increase the value harnessed from proprietary assets by supporting the definition and active management of flexible pricing models and price points for geospatial data assets, thus better responding to market demand. This will enable owners to accurately and flexibly position their assets in the market, increase sales, explore new sectors and value chain segments with small effort.
- Asset decoupling. We will indirectly increase the value of proprietary assets by reducing the effort of terminating a contractual relationship in an automated and fair manner through unlinking and/or purging an asset from other assets with which it has been explicitly or implicitly integrated. This increases productivity for data owners and consumers, avoids vector lock-in, increases competition and reduces overheads.
- Optimize data placing. We will indirectly increase the value extracted from proprietary geospatial data assets by allowing data consumers to make informed decisions regarding the scope of permitted asset use, scale, and confidentiality. This would mitigate the frequency and severity of barriers appearing during real-world use of assets, thus minimizing effort, increasing satisfaction, and supporting stronger synergies along the value chain.
- Protect IPR. We will indirectly increase the value of proprietary assets by safeguarding the IPR of owners, enabling them to securely and fairly market their assets with facilities surpassing their current reach. We will harmonize cross-border licensing, provide automated contractual compliance, offer secure asset delivery channels and copyright-protection instruments, and ensure transparent and fair remuneration.